I was talking to a bride of mine, Sarah, and I wanted to know how she made the decision to marry her husband, Stockton. She told me that she was so stressed about not receiving a strong confirmation, so she turned to ten talks from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on dating, marriage and becoming the best possible version of yourself to prepare for that commitment. Sarah mentioned that while reading each talk, she experienced this feeling of peace and knew that she was making the right choice with Stockton.
I decided to start reading through and studying each of these talks with my own boyfriend as a way to prepare for marriage in the future. This intentional time spent together learning about ways that the two of us can set ourselves up for a successful relationship has fostered so much personal growth for us both individually and as a couple. Many topics have been brought up that we both struggle with. Talking about them together has brought us even closer. We really just want to become the best version of ourselves so we can be the best for each other.
Even if you’ve been married for many years or you’re newlywed, I believe these talks can be helpful to promote communication between you and your spouse and help you build a strong relationship.
1. Dating a time to become best friends
2. Choosing and being the right spouse
3. Confidence tests from fear to faith in the marriage decision
4. How and by what means can I know when I have found the right person to marry
5. Deciding for myself
6. Inquire well to marry well
7. Face to Face Event with Elder Holland (minutes 23-34)
8. The Faith to Marry
9. Finding your sweetheart
10. Patters of light spirit of revelation